What you will learn:
- What is this ransomware, how is it different from others and how it operates (includes images)
- Why this is not Petya or Goldeneye
- Secureworks recommended actions to protect yourself
- Secureworks client countermeasures
- Indicators for this threat
Secureworks® Counter Threat Unit™ (CTU) researchers are tracking reports of a widespread ransomware outbreak that has globally impacted numerous organizations.
Most reports incorrectly identified the ransomware as Petya or Goldeneye. While the messages displayed to the victim are similar to Petya, CTU™ analysis has not detected any code overlap between the current ransomware and Petya/Goldeneye. Subsequently, the name NotPetya has been assigned to this new variant. NotPetya does differ from other ransomware outbreaks.