Customer service is the motto. Hackers are now extending their service hours, guaranteeing their work, and expanding their offerings to keep customers coming back.
Imagine a marketplace where illegal vendors offer a wide range of goods, tools, and training to enable a hacker to exploit or breach unsuspecting individuals, groups or organizations. Furthermore, imagine the walls of this marketplace lined with advertisements offering services and information such as:
- DDOS attacks for as low as $5 USD an hour
- Banking credentials from 1% to 5% of the account balance
- 300,000 airline points for $90 USD
- American Express Cards for $30 USD
- A physical counterfeit French driver’s license for $238 or German, U.S., Israeli, U.K. and international driver’s licenses for about $173
Better yet, what if you just want to learn to do-it-yourself? The underground market has that covered with a range of services and tools such as:
- ATM skimming devices as low as $400 USD
- RATs for as little as $5 USD
- Crypters from $80 USD
- Angler Exploit Kits from $100 USD
- Online tutorials from $20 USD that cover DDOS attacks, cracking WiFi, Crypters and much more
Concerned about quality or satisfaction? Not to worry, vendors are guaranteeing their availability with posted hours and profiles with details on their level of professionalism, experience, tools they utilize, and most importantly their honesty.
The point is, the underground marketplace is booming and only getting bigger, more sophisticated, and competitive. Knowing what you and your organization are up against and where your information could potentially be going and what it’s worth is a great way to help prioritize what you protect.
To learn more, download the 2016 Underground Hacker Markets Annual Report. The SecureWorks Counter Threat Unit (CTU) Brand Surveillance team and two of our top CISO Op-Intel intelligence analysts explore the latest trends in the marketplace and how companies and individuals can protect their assets.