- Title: Open Web Analytics Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF)
- Advisory ID: SWRX-2014-006
- Date published: Thursday, February 13, 2014
- CVE: CVE-2014-1457
- CVSS v2 base score: 5.1
- Date of last update: Thursday, February 13, 2014
- Vendors contacted: Open Web Analytics
- Release mode: Coordinated
- Discovered by: Dana James Traversie, Dell SecureWorks
Open Web Analytics (OWA) is open source web analytics software that can track and analyze how visitors use websites and applications. OWA is vulnerable to cross-site request forgery (CSRF) attacks conducted by an unauthenticated remote attacker. The vulnerability is due to insufficiently random nonce values that are used in a CSRF prevention scheme. The web application uses these nonce values to verify client requests. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability by predicting nonce values and persuading a user to follow a malicious link or visit an attacker-controlled website.
Dell SecureWorks researchers created a proof of concept video to illustrate the vulnerability, the exploit, and its outcome.
Download the PDF: SWRX-2014-006